This is what we propose for the East part of Toronto, specifically Scarborough:
- Replace the Scarborough RT with a subway (Kennedy Station to Sheppard & McCowan)
- Build a Scarborough Express rail line (Steeles to Union Station)
- Extend the Sheppard LRT line to: (A) Meadowvale (B) Malvern Town Centre (C) Toronto Zoo
- Build a Scarborough Malvern LRT line (Kennedy Station to Sheppard & Morningside)
- Build an Ellesmere BRT line (Scarborough Centre to East boundary)
- Build a Kingston BRT line (Victoria Park station to Eglinton & Kingston)
Of particular note, and the top priority, is Number 1: Extending the Bloor-Danforth Line to replace the Scarborough RT (SRT).
There is considerable justification for this. The top two are 1) The SRT’s ridership warrants it; 2) Service continuity for Scarborough is paramount.
Below are the reasons, and the opportunity costs.